This is for the most part an original recipe. I went through my cookbooks looking for something to do for my latest video and found something called an Italian Steak Sandwich but it consisted of minced beef and a Bolognese sauce, topped with button mushrooms (blech), mozzarella and fresh leaf basil. All wrong. Bolognese sauce would dissolve ciabatta bread; it would just fall apart in your fingers. Horrible.
As for using mushrooms, that’s entirely your prerogative but you won’t catch any such vegetable in my version. I have essentially taken the concept of the recipe but executed it completely differently. Much easier, and more importantly much cheaper!
- Extra Virgin olive oil
- Pack 4 ciabatta rolls
- 450g diced beef/casserole steak
- 1 Red pepper – cut into slithers
- ½ Red onion – sliced
- 2 cloves garlic – roughly chopped
- 1 pack fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp pesto
*Alternatively, you can use button mushrooms, olives and/or chillis for your vegetables and fresh leaf basil instead of pesto.
Preparation Time: Approx. 10 minutes
Cooking Time: Up to 10 minutes
- Heat the oil in a pan. Sauté the onions, garlic and peppers together until lightly browned. Set aside and retain the juices.
- Cook the steak in batches and set aside – keep separate from vegetables.
- Halve the ciabatta rolls, and place the vegetables in and the steak on top. Under a moderate heat, grill for 5 minutes or until the ciabatta is toasted.
- Remove from grill. Slice the Mozzarella thickly and place on top of the meat. Return to grill for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Top with a teaspoon of pesto and serve.
And here is The Student Takeover’s demonstration, presented by Yours Truly: