The Weary Traveller – London – Part 3

liv-st-stationIt turns out that there is more than one entrance to Liverpool Street Station. I think there are actually about 35132153.

I waited outside the only entrance to the station that I was aware of at the time – the one next to a cobblers/key cutting place. Wynona then text me to say she was at the entrance. Where was she?

After the exchange of a few messages we realised we had used different entrances, so decided to find a meeting point inside the station. She was stood by a coffee shop, but I had NO idea where to find it. And at that precise moment her phone died.

I made my way inside, where, by the grace of God, the sign for the coffee shop stared me in the face. I don’t know how or why I noticed the sign, because it was about 200 yards ahead of me, behind a torrent of commuters rushing frantically through.

Hooray! I’d finally found Wynona! Now all we had to do was figure out where we needed to go. We had both booked rooms in a hotel near Hyde Park, which, for those of you who are as unfamiliar with London as I am, is not near Liverpool Street.

So, off we went in search of a tube map, to see what line we needed. This part was fairly simple, apart from the ticket barriers not letting me through to the platform. That was quite annoying. We did manage to find the hotel with no real issues though.

It was about 10.30 when we got to the hotel. A bloody nice hotel it was too, proper posh. The only problem was that we couldn’t check in until 3pm. They did, however, offer us a room to leave our bags in until we could actually check in, which was nice.

Now that we were luggage-free, we went to explore. We headed straight for Oxford Circus, just to see what all the fuss was about. Oh my God, it was ridiculous. I have never seen so many people in one place before. If anything, it was quite daunting.

After a while of getting in people’s way, not knowing which way to walk, we decided to grab a coffee. I was under the illusion that going to ‘grab a coffee’ would a really simple thing to do in the centre of London. I was hugely mistaken. Each and every coffee shop/café we found was full.

About 45 minutes and eight coffee shops later, we stumbled upon a little bistro that had one spare table, so naturally we claimed it instantly.

Over a lukewarm and over-priced latte we discussed the plans for the rest of the day. Still absolutely shattered and little worse for wear from the night before, I had no idea how I was going to get through it…